No. Accreditation is carried out by the Federal Ministry of Education alone.
Yes. Reports about functionaries who are teachers are made to the various State Ministries of Education and All Nigerian Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools (ANCOPSS) for disciplinary measures. Such functionaries have been disciplined in the past. WAEC has its own procedures for disciplining erring inspectors.
No. The marking of scripts is handled by examiners appointed by WAEC. They are usually educationists who are familiar with the classroom situation and their identities are not supposed to be disclosed.
WAEC certificates have no expiry date.
Results are cancelled when candidates are found guilty of examination malpractice.
A comprehensive list of offences is provided in Council's Regulations & Syllabuses.
- The following, among others, constitute examination malpractice:
- Candidates bringing books or cribs into the examination hall;
- Insulting or assaulting any examination official;
- Swapping of scripts in an examination hall;
- Replacing their answer scripts with another one during or after the examination;
- Taking part in mass or organised cheating in the exam hall;
- All other acts that contravene the rules governing the conduct of the examination.
WAEC does not prepare candidates for its examinations by establishing secondary schools or tutorial centres, and no such institutions are affiliated to the Council.
WAEC provides feedback in the form of Chief Examiners' Report on candidates' perofrmance in the various papers for each examination diet, which helps schools and private candidates to prepare adequately for subsequent examinations. The Chief Examiners' Reports are avialable for sale at the Council's offices nationwide.
Yes, but only if (s)he is a school candidate. No provision is made for a private candidate in this regard. Even then, a school candidate does not write directly to WAEC. It is her/his principal who, knowing the candidate's ability, forwards a request for the review of the candidate's scripts. Of course, there is a specified fee to be paid on every paper to be reviewed. Such requests should be sent in within sixty days of any examination.